summer

Monday, April 14, 2014

Easter M&M Fractions Free For YOU!

Fractions . . . arghhhh!. . . they can be tough for some to understand.  But who doesn't like to eat candy, especially when it's chocolate? So maybe the incentive to understanding fractions is in the idea that once I learn it I can eat my fractions! I love this idea . . . except for the fact that I gave up candy for Lent. So while my kiddos ate theirs. . .  I politely sat back and drooled all over myself!

So this week when you only have a few days left before Easter, I have a freebie for you that's quick to set up and fun to do all in one. 

First you'll need one of these bags of the fun size M&M's. 

Next you'll need to give everyone a copy of this.
 (On the back side you'll put another activity to show how to divide with the same amount of candy.)


The students will sort their candy, 






Then write the fractions for each color. 
For example if you had 22 candies and 
7 of them were yellow, then the fraction of yellow would be 7/22. 


This is a great activity because most kids will have a different amount of candies in their bag.


You can pick up this freebie by clicking HERE.
 It's a 2 page document, that I printed on the front and back when I made the copies for my students. 

Could you just do me a favor and leave me a quick message if you do decide to grab this. I decided not to put this in TPT, but then I don't have any idea how many of you grab it. I'm always curious how many people like my stuff. . . . so a little bit of happiness will fill my heart!

Then just for fun we made a plot graph to see how many candies were in each bag. We rarely get enough practice working with graphs so this is a quick and easy one to do to show how there is usually an average in the bags. 

Patty

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing the download and the great picts and description!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment after grabbing one of my ideas! It's like leaving a tip for a job well done!