summer

Friday, March 20, 2020

And Now. . . What Should We Do?

Our school, like many others in our nation decided to close for 3 weeks. And the following week is our spring break, so our students will be off for a total of 4 weeks. This news was so shocking. What would we do? What would the kids do? What would the parents do? 

All of these questions were and are unknown. This kind of thing has never happened before. So whatever we do will be a first for us and everyone else. Right or wrong, we need to do something. 

My particular school decided to jump right in and start getting things around for students to do at home. We knew that some parents would be asking for something for their children to do and we knew that having a routine would be important too. So packets were created and put together to match the needs of each student. Online resources were identified as well as sending home their clever badges so they could easily log in. 



Our entire district started brainstorming how to feed these students who rely on the food they get for breakfast, lunch and even some students receive extra food for the weekends. I'm very proud of my district. Sturgis Public Schools stepped right up to find bus drivers to deliver food on the buses each day so that no child goes hungry. Today they announced that we have been able to feed 500 children each day this week. My heart is full. I am grateful to all those who have given their time to be sure that our families are well taken care of. 


We have been asked to personally reach out to parents and students in any way we can.  . . email, phone calls, letters, etc.  I have a small case load because of the type of job that I have, but I was able to reach out to 70% of my students through an email. I got one reply so far. I hope to email them each week and open those doors of communication. 

I know that many of you are doing some similar things with your district. Whether the students actually do the work is unknown. But the fact that we have provided it shows that we care and that we want to do whatever we can to keep them on top of their academic world. 

Some parents have told me they can't work with their own child. I get that! I am a mom too. There are some things that  my child just didn't want to have my help with. So in that case, let them try to work independently or see if a friend or relative can help. . . even with staying 6 feet away!

I hope that you can rest knowing that whatever you have done for your students, that it is good. You have a home and family to attend to as well. 

I would enjoy reading any things that your district or you are doing that is different from what we are doing. Please feel free to share with me.  I do need something to read to keep me from going stir crazy.


1 comment:

Thanks for leaving me a comment after grabbing one of my ideas! It's like leaving a tip for a job well done!