summer

Saturday, February 20, 2016

Do You Need to Add or Subtract?

Is that a problem for your kids? Do they just guess whether they should add or subtract? I decided to let my kids practice listening to the problems and just decide on which action they should do. 
They don't even have to find the answer (although you could if you wanted to). 

 I made these paddles with add + on one side and subtract- on the other. I used two small paper plates with the stick in between them. The plates spoon each other so they are easier to store for another time. I hot glued a craft stick to them. 


Read the problems in the file attached below. Let them hold the paddle to their chest so their neighbors can't see how they voted. And you can easily get a feel for their understanding. 

This can be practiced over and over
 until you think they finally get it. 


If you'd like to grab the free short story problems to use with these paddles, click Here
Remember if you grab them, to leave me a comment. I'd love to hear if this is a problem for your kiddos and if you think this would work for them too.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this idea. I am always looking for quick assessments to use with my class.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment after grabbing one of my ideas! It's like leaving a tip for a job well done!