summer

Thursday, September 26, 2013

School is NO Joke. .. . but it can be funny!

So this is what getting back into the routine of school means. . . .
Less time to blog! Geesh! Can we bring summer back again!

So if you have missed me (ha!) then let me fill you in a bit.

I have 27 kids in my itty bitty classroom. It's way too many kids for this old gal! All 10 second grades in our district have 28 or 30. So I bet you're telling me to count my lucky stars that I don't have 30! Well, I'm not. 

This group is a wonderful group and I can see a lot of potential with them. 

We just took the MAPS (or otherwise known as NWEA) and most of my kids scored in the 165's in both math and reading. Did anyone else see such low scores for their group? Last year our first graders took this same test, but they had headphones and it was all read to them for math and reading. So this year when it's not read to them, and I see such low numbers, I have to wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that they didn't have to read it on their own last year.


Here's what I have been working on. Most kids love to read jokes and it's a great way to help them enjoy reading more. So I did some digging for some kid friendly fun jokes to welcome them back to school. 


You just have to copy them, laminate them, cut them and then tape the whole apple (the question) to the open apple (the answer) so the kids can flip them open to see the answer. 


This is how they look on the lockers.


Sorry about the shine. :(



You can grab these at my store for only a couple dollars! 
How's that for some cheap fun?

I'm off to see my dad this weekend. We are going to take care of mom's clothes and give them to an agency that helps women who need nice clothes to wear for job interviews. 

I'm sure this will be an emotional weekend, but my 3 sisters and my brother will also be there, so I know we'll find lots of reasons to laugh. Plus we are celebrating my dad's 92 birthday. I can't imagine being around for that many years. At my age, sometimes I feel so whipped. . . imagine adding 30 more years to it! Another GEESH!

Patty


2 comments:

  1. Patty,
    I hope that your weekend goes as well as can be expected. You're in my prayers, kiddo. See you Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so fun! You're too clever and I'm sure your kiddos loved it! Have a blessed weekend too!

    :)
    Christina

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment after grabbing one of my ideas! It's like leaving a tip for a job well done!