This will be the quickest and shortest post EVER!
Do you need a calendar of reading activities for your students? Click here to grab it for free!
Wednesday, February 15, 2017
This is a rewind from last May, but I think it's timely for right now.
Have you ever heard of Incredible Equations?
This picture below shows what I'm talking about.
This can be done every day or once a week. But it should be done on a regular basis in order for the students to catch on and understand number sense better. It can be done as a whole group in place of or in addition to your calendar. It can also be done in small groups where each group can add to the chart.
Here are the simple directions:
- Pick a number for them to focus on. In the beginning of the year, pick a smaller number. (You may have to model for them several ways to find those answers, but in time, some kids will see it on their own.)
- Students think of problems that have that chosen number as an answer.
- They can use a variety of strategies to equal that number. (add, subtract, multiply, and divide)
- They can think about clocks, money, tally marks, place value, dice, dominoes, or ten frames that can show that same number.
- Look for patterns that might repeat if you add one to each number or subtract one from each number. (52-27, 53-28, 54-29, 55-30, etc.)
- Stretch their brains by telling them that one thing is the same as another name, like 5+5+5+5+5 is the same as 5x5, or 5 nickels = one quarter.
- They can add 2 numbers, 3 numbers, or more to get to the chosen number.
The kids love this and they love saying the words Incredible Equations. Great vocabulary!
You can do this on a pad of paper, your whiteboard or whatever works for your room. If you display them in your room, they can use them as a resource when needed.
Tuesday, February 7, 2017
Monday, February 6, 2017
For one day and one day only, you can enter this Rafflecopter and hope to win one of seven $10.00 TPT gift cards.
Easy to do, just like each of the following Teachers Pay Teachers' stores and you'll have 7 different chances to win.
I will pick the winner by 8:00 pm est. tonight.
Sunday, February 5, 2017
Amanda Smith of Daisy Designs is a 2nd Grade teacher in Florida. She also teaches Musical Theater and Dance at a local theater. She’s passionate about reading and is a total dog-lover! In fact, Daisy is the name of her 5 pound chihuahua. She has a 5-month old son, Isaac.
Jodilyn Blake @DaisyADayDoodles has been teaching for 8 years on the Indian Reservations of New Mexico. She has taught as a reading specialist, 2nd grade teacher on up to Middle school Language Arts. Her TPT shop has teaching resources along with her artwork. She has been doodling since she was 12 years old for fun. However, her doodles became digital creations in May 2015. She is relatively new to the clip art world, but she loves to share her joy.
By our powers combined, we wish you a Happy Valentine’s Day with free valentines featuring Jodilyn’s art and Amanda’s witty puns.
I'm joining these other wonderful friends to give away 2 TPT Gift Cards. I hope you win!
|I'm also letting you have my Facts and |
Opinions Product at half off. Grab it before the price goes back up!
Click the picture above to go to my store.
Click HERE to grab your FREEBIE!