summer

Saturday, January 23, 2016

Story Problem Woes . . Help is on the WAY!

I have been doing lots of practice with story problems with my 2nd graders. 
I felt pretty strong that they knew or at least had an idea of what they were doing. 


But!!!!

I was wrong!

When they had to take a test on only story problems, 
they just collapsed and forgot how to do them. 

Some kids could just find the answer, 
but had no clue how to draw the picture (a needed skill on the test!).

Some kids could draw the picture, 
but ended up with the wrong equation or wrong answer.


So on Monday, it's back to the beginning 
for me and those students. 

 They say repetition is needed. Sometimes a child needs to hear something or do something 28 times before they have committed it to memory. Monday will be #1. 

I will start with these  problems: 

 We had been focusing on the CUB method. I think they can circle the numbers, underline the question, and box in the important words now. 
 But do they really know what to do once they find the important words. I need to help them visualize what the problem is doing. 
We will spend a lot more time drawing the pictures that match HOW to answer the problem correctly. 

If my kids are struggling with this, I just can't be the only one. . . so I'm going to put this set of story problems on sale for $1.00 until Sunday night at 9:00. 

Click the picture to go to my store.

You can print the work pages front to back. 





And just for fun and to help you out, I'm also putting 2 other products on sale for just $1.00 until Sunday night at 9:00. 

Warming Up To Regrouping using QR Codes
Click the picture to go to my store.

Frozen Fractions is a great way to match up the fraction number with the words, the set, and the fraction picture. 
Click the picture to go to my store.

Click the picture to go to my store.
I decided to make up another set of 10 story problems for practice. 

You can grab them for free right here

 If you do, please leave me a comment below. Let me know if you think these will work for you. 

If you are one of those who are snowed in this week, these activities will be great to do when you come back. And if you're not snowed in, maybe these will help you pretend that you have snow all around you!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a comment after grabbing one of my ideas! It's like leaving a tip for a job well done!