summer

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Do I have to say Hunny?

Several of us are sharing how we met our husbands, so I thought I'd try it. This is my first link up. .. is that what you call it? or is this a linky. . . it's not kinky . . . is it?
First of all I don't call him Hunny, . . . Hubby. . . Hubs. .. . or Mr. I call him my husband. . . I know. . .weird huh!

You really want to know how I met him?

Not that interesting but here goes.

I had a summer job for several years teaching kids how to bowl. Every year I got a different assistant. Then in the summer of 1979, July to be exact, in walked Mr. Right. At the time I had a list a mile long of what I was looking for in a husband and he did NOT fit it at all.

However each day we spent more and more time talking and then he called me one night and I swear we must have talked for an hour. . . on a party line!!! (if you are too young to know what that means, ask your grandma!) My mom kept giving me "the eye" to get off the phone so others could use it. But I kept giving her "the eye" to leave me alone!

He was also a teacher and had spent the last year teaching in Dallas, Texas. hmmmm. . imagine that. . . I had gone down the previous summer to Dallas to look for teaching jobs. .. but decided I didn't want to stay that far away. I was visiting a high school friend.  The more we discussed Dallas we found out that if I had gotten a job there and lived with my friend, we would have only been about a mile apart from each other. . .nice coincidence, huh?

Then we realized that his birthday was One day, One month and One year before mine. .  that's cool, huh?

Then we found out that we both were big Michigan State Fans. . . Ok, this guy is looking better and better right!

A job. . . he needs to find a job.

I was teaching in Quincy at the time. . . a little town in south west Michigan.
He put out 30 resumes and letters. Got one interview in Three Rivers, about 30 minutes from Quincy. . . and Voila! another coincidence! This just keeps getting better and better.

Well he got his own place in Three Rivers, I was living in Coldwater. We saw each other on weekends. And the engagement came in January. . .  did you count on your fingers yet?

Met in July, engaged in January. . . and married in August of 1980. We'd only known each other for 13 months by the time we got married. That was 31 years ago people! Short engagement. Lots of love. and a whole lot of compromises have kept our life together.

I have to ask myself. . . if my own kids met someone and wanted to be married 13 months later, I think I'd freak and put a stop to it. . . but somehow my parents went along with it.

Speaking of my parents. They are still both alive and just celebrated 67 years together in October. Dad is 90 and mom is 89 and both still drive well and keep very active. So proud of them and super glad to have them around.

Ok. That's it.
Hope you liked it and if you want to join this linky party go to Buzzing with Mrs. B at http://buzzingwithmsb.blogspot.com/2012/02/howd-you-meet-your-hunny-linky-party.html and join the fun!

3 comments:

  1. How sweet! Love this story and love how you don't call him hubs, hubby or mr! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww... that's sweet & super awesome about your parents! Mine have been married since 1977... you don't hear much like that anymore! Me and my husband were high school sweethearts & have been married since 2004! :)

    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog and started following you. What a sweet story!

    Glitter and Glue

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment after grabbing one of my ideas! It's like leaving a tip for a job well done!